|Posted on March 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM|
It has been said that “the indefatigable William Samuel Millard was the only man who owned a private railway line served by the railways but independent of it”.
Millard applied to the Young Municipal Council for permission to build the line on December 8th, 1887. Most of the council agreed that it was a progressive step by an industry that was important to the progress of the town. Some objections were raised but these were in a minority.
Two ...Read Full Post »
|Posted on February 23, 2015 at 4:40 AM|
On Tuesday 19th May, 1863 at about 12 or 1 o’clock in the day John Gilbert rode up to two drays about three miles from Marengo on the turn off road near Calabash and told one of the carriers to stop and lower down a gin case, break it open and hand him three or four bottles; the carrier hesitated, then Gilbert laughed derisively, threw open his poncho, and showed his belt bristling with revolvers, and also pointing significantly into the bush, thereby indicating that he had plenty of a...Read Full Post »
|Posted on January 26, 2015 at 7:25 PM|
Roger Sheedy’s grandfather was transported to New South Wales in 1824 from Ireland aboard the “Mangles” for forgery. His father, Michael, emigrated aboard the “Andromeda” when about 10 years of age, with his mother, Mary Sheedy, and the rest of the family. Michael married Margaret McIntyre at Yass in 1849, who had a number of children including Roger, who was born in 1854 at Binalong. Michael received the reward for the discovery of gold at Lambing Flat in 1860.Read Full Post »
|Posted on January 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM|
After gold was discovered at Lambing Flat the gold miners searched along all the creeks and their tributaries in the area. After finding gold up Chance Gully, it did not take long for them to go over the hill and find their way to Tipperary Gully, McHenry’s Creek and Tipperary Creek.
Gold was discovered at Tipperary Gully in early 1861 and a short-lived town called Allandale sprang up, it was also known as the New Rush, but eventually the name Tipperary Gully became the most acce...Read Full Post »
|Posted on December 23, 2014 at 3:55 AM|
By the middle of 1861 a substantial town had developed at Stoney Creek, not only hotels but businesses of all descriptions.
On 30 March 1861 M. Asher advertised in The Miner the opening of his "Sydney Store" at Stoney Creek, situated next to the Camp. His stock consisted of: Drapery and Clothing, Grocery, Wines and Spirits, Ironmongery, Mining Tools, Saddlery, Crockery, Glassware, Paints, Oils, Paper-hangings, Hats, Tents, Boots and Shoes, Leather, Grindery, Blankets, Tinwa...Read Full Post »
|Posted on December 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM|
When gold was discovered at Young in 1860 Father McAlroy was the Parish Priest of Yass, in which Young was included. In late 1860 or early 1861 some of Father McAlroy’s parishioners decided to build a Catholic church west of Main St between Lovell and Nasmyth Streets. This was constructed from timber slabs with a bark roof and became known as “The Bark Chapel”, and was the first church built at Young.
Early in 1861 Father McAlroy was transferred to Albury. ...Read Full Post »
|Posted on November 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM|
After the discovery of gold at Lambing Flat a town quickly developed, and at the same time villages developed at Spring Creek and Stoney Creek. Stoney Creek starts its journey in the Tumbleton area and crosses the Young-Temora road near the Toompang racecourse, making its way to the Burrangong Creek and eventually the Lachlan. Gold had been discovered in and around the banks of Stoney Creek and a rough settlement soon sprang up. As time went on it developed a more substantial nature and was d...Read Full Post »
|Posted on November 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM|
After the discovery of gold a village sprang up quickly along the banks of both Little and Big Spring Creeks. It was not designed, it just “happened” and was formed in a most unorganised manner with hotels and businesses scattered everywhere over a wide area, but mostly close to the creeks because of the need of a supply of water, but not on the creek banks as this is where most of the digging and washing for gold occurred.
Last week we spoke of the hotels of Spr...Read Full Post »
|Posted on November 4, 2014 at 3:10 AM|
Big Spring Creek and Little Spring Creek commence their journey on the watershed on Boundary Road, one side eventually flowing to the Murrumbidgee and the other to the Lachlan and Lake Cowell. On their journey the two Spring Creeks converge and then flow into the Burrangong Creek just west of Young.
After gold was discovered at Lambing Flat (or Young as it is now known), a major discovery was made on the two Spring Creeks and an extensive and spread-out village sprang up. It is hard to ...Read Full Post »
|Posted on October 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM|
Fred Wales died on the 18th August 1960 aged 88 years, he had been a part owner of “The Young Witness”. He came to Young from Rye Park and was indentured to Benjamin John Bennett of the Burrangong Argus as an apprentice in 1887. Shortly before his death he was interviewed by the Young Witness and the following is an extract from that interview.
“We started work at 8 am, but we never knew when we would finish. Sometimes it would be 8 o’cl...Read Full Post »
|Posted on October 1, 2014 at 5:20 AM|
Most people in the Young district and surrounding areas have heard of the region called The Bland, but most would not know where the name was derived from. The Bland is roughly west of Bribbaree and in the Barmedman, Quandialla and West Wyalong area. It is a dry flat plains type land originally given the name The Levels by the early explorers led by Surveyor-General Major Mitchell. James White, the first European to settle at Burrangong, selected 50,000 acres on what was...Read Full Post »
|Posted on August 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM|
From an article in the Cootamundra Herald, November 1887.
Mr. McGregor arrived in the colony 47 years ago (1840) in company of two young men of his own age, a Mr. Peters and a Mr. Clark, all three took on the management of stations. Mr. McGregor said that both of his friends are dead, one having left half a million in money, and the other was a millionaire. Owing to very heavy losses in dry seasons, Mr. McGregor was not so successful as his friends, but he has enough of this wor...Read Full Post »
|Posted on July 18, 2014 at 5:40 AM|
After the gold rush period a prosperous pastoral and agricultural district developed around the town of Young. The spirit of brotherhood which had developed on the goldfields conspired to develop a unity amongst working men. Therefore it was appropriate that the first great and continuous trade union in New South Wales was formed in the area, and the first Shearers' Union in Australia was formed here.
Shearers had much to contend with in the 1870s...Read Full Post »
|Posted on July 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM|
Death of John Carlton Watson. An urgent telegram received on Wednesday morning announced the death of Mr. John Carlton Watson, this sad event took place early that morning at “Lister”, Mrs. Bradley’s hospital, Darlinghurst, at which institution the deceased gentleman had been a patient, and under the care of Drs. Fiaschi and McCormack, since his return from Perth, he, at the time, on his journey to England. The nature of his illness was then not properly underst...Read Full Post »
|Posted on June 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM|
On the afternoon of Saturday 4 November, 1922 at 3.30 o’clock the laying of the foundation stone of the Young Soldiers' Memorial took place. The Premier, Sir George Fuller, and Lady Fuller, together with Sir Charles Rosenthal and other members of Parliament, had arrived by the morning train and had been welcomed at the station by the Mayor of Young, Ald. W.F. Weedon and the President of Burrangong Shire, Mr. Crichton. Sir George Fuller laid one of the stones, whilst the children’s...Read Full Post »
|Posted on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 AM|
From The Miner we learn that the Burrangong Race Club held its first meeting on the 7th, 8th and 9th May 1861 on the Lambing Flat Racecourse. This was situated where the business houses of today are located including the Great Eastern Hotel. A publican, William Sell, of the Royal Exchange Hotel, Main Street, Tipperary Gully and later Stoney Creek promoted the meeting. According to Sarah Musgrave in her book The Wayback, Mrs. Sell̵...Read Full Post »
|Posted on June 10, 2014 at 3:35 AM|
Read Full Post »
An accident, with accompanying loss of life, happened to Mr. Greig’s mail coach on its journey from Young to Forbes with her Majesty’s mails on 7 June 1863. The coach left Young at two o’clock am., with four passengers, Joseph Windred, William Spicer, Mrs. Alexander and Henry Godfrey Junior. The coach arrived at White’s Creek (now Burrangong Creek) without much hindrance although the rain was falling in torrents and the road was in a frightful state. Here a...
|Posted on May 15, 2014 at 6:15 AM|
The following is a short reminiscence found in the files of the Young Historical Society, written by Brother L.B. McInerney, undated, but under the heading of "The Chinese Market Garden, Young, 1924."
Read Full Post »
On the site of the present day Normoyle’s Steel Fabrication Factory and the Well’s Timber Yard, several Chinamen used to work very hard at growing vegetables. I guess there would have been four or five tough looking men engaged in the enterprise. What fa...
|Posted on May 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM|
David Normoyle migrated to Australia from County Limerick, Ireland. He set up his business as a blacksmith and coach builder at Young in 1890. His company was soon a very successful business and his reputation as a builder of wagons was held in high esteem. The ‘Normoyle’ wagons were well known and highly thought of in Young and the surrounding area.
The business was situated in Lovell Street opposite the entrance to the then Railway Goods Yard and on the ...Read Full Post »
|Posted on March 29, 2014 at 2:20 AM|
From the Young Witness Friday November 6, 1914.
Three young men had an exciting time at “The Cutting” last evening. In a short space of time three snakes were encountered and one of the men was bitten on the leg. As a warning to bathers, we give below the story as told by one of the participants themselves. It is as follows:-
“We beg to inform you of an encounter we experienced last evening at the cutting swimming pool. We...Read Full Post »