|Posted on June 15, 2015 at 1:45 AM|
Following are some of the people who were prominent in the early days of Lambing Flat, who in some way left their mark on the future town of Young:
Cobborn Jackie – Chief of the Burramunditory tribe and crowned King of Burrangong by James White. A member of the Wiradjuri group, who owned the whole of Young and surrounding area before James White arrived. Jackie died at Forbes in 1874, and it was claimed that he was 110 years of age.
P. L. Cloete – He was Chief Commissioner of the Southern Goldfields between 1860 and 1863. He was later appointed Water Police Magistrate in Sydney. Died in 1870 and Cloete Street is named after him.
Captain J. Wilkie – He was attached to the second military expedition sent to Lambing Flat. Suffered an epileptic seizure and fell from his horse on 1st February 1862 and subsequently died. Buried with full military honours. As there was no town band a circus band was used to lead the funeral procession.
Mrs. Geo O’Malley Clarke – The widow of Captain Wilkie who after his death built St. John’s Church in memory of him. She later married George O’Malley Clarke who was a gold commissioner at the time of the riots.
Jimmy Cain – The jockey who rode the winner of the main race at the first race meeting held at Lambing Flat. The horse owned by Sells – a Spring Creek publican – was stolen after the race, supposedly by Frank Gardiner.
Edwin Davis – A carrier who was one of the first to arrive at Lambing Flat with a load of flour in 1860. Stayed for some time, later moving to Yass where he was a butcher, where he died in 1932.
A. and I. Fitzsimmons – Landowners at the western end of Burrowa Street. They ran a carcase butchery at Chance Gully but sold out to John McLean in July, 1862.
D. Dickson – The first resident gold commissioner at Lambing Flat. He read the riot act to an assemblage of miners at Golden Point on Sunday, January 27, 1861. He was very unpopular with the diggers.
Captain Lovell – In charge of a detachment of artillery sent with the military to Lambing Flat to quell the riots in July 1861. The clumsy cannon, locally known as the “Bull Pup”, greatly amused the crowds. Lovell Street was named after him.
Peter Myer – The first hairdresser to set up in Young, he was next door to Charles Flemming’s shop in Main street. He taught Christie Reus the hairdressing business.
Rev. J.D .Thane – A Congregational Minister who built the first Protestant Church at Lambing Flat. He held his first services in a patched up tent, later obtaining an iron structure that had been used as an Inn. He raised £200 with which he built a church at the western end of Burrowa Street. This building was later blown down in a storm.
George Thompson – Came to Young in the early 1860s, selecting land on the Murringo Road. A good cricketer, and played well into his seventies. In 1862 he was selected to play in the combined NSW and Victorian team to play against the first English team to visit Australia. He died at Young in 1921 at the age of 89. His son George Edward lived on the same property.
Mrs. Kitty Woods – She died at the age of 105 on 9th June, 1931 and had been married when she was 14 to Peter Woods, an Irish stock owner. Peter was killed in a buggy accident in 1880. Kitty had worked as a dairy maid on Moonbucca Station and later purchased the Star Hotel on the Burrowa-Main Street corner where Raine and Horne is now. She lived in later life at Burrangong, two miles from Young.
Jonathan Collins – He was a gold miner in the early days and took a prominent part in the agitation against the Chinese. He later became an Inn keeper at Yass. Tom Collins, his son, became a Federal Member of Parliament for the region.
Edward Hargraves – In the late 1860s came to Young with his parents from Penrith. He learnt hand brickmaking under James Hasemer in Murringo Street. He died in Young in May 1932 aged 76.
Richard Harris – Practised as a Horse Doctor from the premises of Richardson and Evans in Burrowa Street opposite the Great Eastern Hotel in 1862.
Ah Sing – Manager of On Lee and Co.’s general store in Main Street in the 1870s.
Sourced from the Young Chronicle, 4th November, 1932.
Young Historical Society – Brian James.