|Posted on July 15, 2015 at 1:25 AM|
A continuation of a list of residents of Lambing Flat who were here in the early days of the town and who played a part in the development of the area in some way.
Black Traveller – A one armed aboriginal who for periods in and around the town in the 1860s and 70s was given to vocal exhibitions of no mean order when the spirits moved him. He was last heard of in Forbes in the late 1890s.
E.A. Baker – The Hon. Ezekiel Alexander Baker, MLA., was a mineralogist, who came to the colony in 1853, under engagement to a mining company that failed. He came to Lambing Flat in 1860; although identifying himself with the diggers' cause against the Chinese he refused to become involved with violence. He was with James Torpy, as a selected delegate, to present Governor Young with a petition protesting against martial law being proclaimed on the diggings, but was not received by the Governor, on the grounds that they were representing the illegally rioting miners. After the troubles in 1862 Baker opened the American Café in Burrowa Street, near the site of the Town Hall. He was an active member of the Progress Committee and was a long serving Hon. Secretary of the Burrangong Hospital. In 1866 after the discovery of gold at Emu Creek he moved to Grenfell and started The Mining Record newspaper. In 1870 he was elected to Parliament for the Southern Goldfields, replacing J. Bowie Wilson. In 1877 he was appointed Minister for Lands in the Robertson Government, then later Minister for Mines. In 1878 he was a Minister in the Parkes Ministry.
Thos. R. Watt – Conducted a butchery in Burrowa Street in the late 1860s, later retiring to his property “Stanley”. From here he also controlled “The Troughs Station” in the Forbes district.
William Wales – Was said to be a veteran of the Battle of Waterloo, where he was wounded. He lived at Lambing Flat during the riots and two of his sons were participants. Moved to Forbes and then to Burrowa where he died at 104 years of age. His daughter married William Wiggins of the Black Range and died in 1932 at 84 years of age.
Dr. Robert Falder – A noted medical doctor in the early 1860s, who afterwards went to Grenfell and was succeeded by Dr. Barnett. While he was at Young he was Coroner and medical attendant to the military at the Camp.
Edmund Freeman – He was the proprietor of the Burrangong Stores in Main Street in 1861. He also conducted a general auctioneering and commission agency under the name of “Freeman, Hayes and Co”. He owned many allotments in the town.
M. Carter – Resided near The Camp and advertised in the Courier in 1862 that he conducted a “Tailing Paddock” where horses could be tailed during the day and hobbled at night. He later sold out to Staniforth.
Giles and Millson – Ran the London Butchery in Burrowa Street and dispensed “Epping Sausages” in 1862. Situated between the Criterion and Great Eastern Hotels.
Rev. George Grimm – Early Presbyterian Minister in charge during the 1860s and 70s. He was a great scholar and his musical family assisted at many public functions. He was succeeded by the Rev. J. T. Main at St. Paul’s, which had been founded in 1867.
Rev. J. Cameron was the first resident Presbyterian Minister at Young and boarded with Sam Rennie’s family.
John Grogan – In 1861 was the first Licensee of the Gold Digger’s Arms Hotel on the south side of the creek at Petticoat Flat near Crinoline Lead. He advertised his House as a pleasant retreat from the turmoil of the town. He sold out in 1862.
William Fletcher – Opposite Butler’s Commercial Hotel on the corner of Burrowa and Main streets he conducted a ironmonger store. Schmidt’s Chambers are now on this site.
George Lyons – A very early store keeper in Burrowa Street west of the Commercial Bank (NAB) who in the mid 1870s transferred his business to Wombat. His son, William, continued the Wombat business and later moved to Binalong. William married a sister of W. O. Judge of Judge’s Pharmacy.
Edward McEvoy – The first manager of George Lyons store and when Lyon’s moved to Wombat opened his own store in Lynch street. The building later occupied by Chellew and Trompf on the corner of Burrowa and Lynch streets was known locally as McEvoy’s Corner.
Edward Mauby – Young’s first resident solicitor ,set up in the gold rush days. Nesbitt’s garage was later on the site of his office.
Sourced from the Young Chronicle, 4th November, 1932.
Young Historical Society – Brian James.