|Posted on September 6, 2015 at 6:50 PM|
Adding further to the list of early inhabitants of Lambing Flat and Young who helped make Young what it is today.
Capt. Henry Zouch – Appointed to Bathurst under the old military mounted police system. During his regime at Bathurst he successfully carried out the search for the remains of Richard Cunningham who had been speared by natives. Later he was appointed Gold Commissioner for the Turon and then Superintendent of Mounted Police for Main Roads. In this capacity he took charge of the Lambing Flat Gold diggings and played a large part in the maintenance of law and order. Upon absorption of the mounted patrol by the general police in 1862 he became general superintendent of the Southern District with headquarters at Goulburn.
Zouch Street in Young was later named in his honour.
Rev. R.H. Mayne – The Burrowa Anglican Clergyman who was the visiting C. of E. Minister to Lambing Flat in 1861 and ’62. He was instrumental in building the Episcopalian Church at the back of Main Street. Rev. W. H. Pownall, the first resident Church of England clergyman took over from him.
George Rex – Famous in the early 1860s for the ginger beer and other beverages he supplied at his little shop at the southern end of Main Street beyond Barney Phillips establishment.
Sippell Brothers – Tobacconist etc., of Main Street during the 1860s and for a long period after.
J. Robinson – A wholesale carcase butcher on Victoria Lead in 1861 and later. He advertised that he would deliver beasts dead or alive anywhere.
Mrs. Reus – She conducted a fruit and confectionery shop in Main Street next to On Lee & Co. during the late 1860s.
Christopher Reus – The son of above. A hairdresser and tobacconist in Burrowa Street in the early 1870s. He had learnt the trade from Peter Myer, the first hairdresser at Young.
Mr. Stenson – A Lambing Flat miner who was arrested at Tipperary Gully by the military on their arrival in July 1861. He was charged with participation in the riot of 14th July 1861. He was acquitted of the charge at the trial of September 1861.
John Stewart – Tried at Goulburn, in September 1861, with Spicer and Cameron for their part in the riots at Lambing Flat. He was acquitted.
Charles Sanderson – Stationed at Lambing Flat as senior-sergeant, but in 1862 promoted to Sub-Inspector of police. Involved in defence of the Camp during the riots of 1861. In 1862 he was moved to Forbes and in September 1862 arrested Charles Robardy for the murder of Daniel Crotty, the Murringo mailman, in August of that year. He returned to Young and was in charge in the mid 1870s as Inspector.
William Spicer – Store keeper at Spring Creek and initial agitator against the Chinese miners. The Government offered a reward of £100 each for the capture of the three main ringleaders. Spicer was the only one of the three to be sentenced to Imprisonment.
R. H. Fitzsimmons – A Gold Commissioner of the early 1860s and often sat on the bench with G. O’Malley-Clarke.
H. Godfrey – General storekeeper between the Criterion Hotel and Morgan’s Horse Bazaar in Burrowa Street in 1861 and 1862. Sold out in July 1862 due to illness.
Charlie Fleming – The proprietor of a Tinware business on the corner of Main and Cloete Streets in 1861. Made a good profit with the sale of prospectors' dishes, buckets etc.. Tom Fleming, his nephew, later owned the old tinware shop and other premises. All these old buildings were removed to make way for the Services and Citizens Club.
Emanuel and Sons – Large general storekeepers on the east side of Main Street opposite the (old) Empire Hotel.
Edward Dixon – He conducted a boot, shoe and drapery business in 1861 and later. He advertised his house manager as William Griffiths.
Sub-Inspector McLerie, Jnr. – He was at Lambing Flat during the latter part of the riots, and directed the cavalry charge of troopers led by Sergeant Brennan on Sunday, 14th July, 1861, against the rioting diggers. McLerie Street was named after him.
Lieut. Morris – He was attached to the regiment sent to Lambing Flat in July 1861. As there was no resident clergyman at the time he was called upon to read the burial service for the funeral of Captain Wilkie.
Donald Manson – Conducted a drapery business from the early 1860s to mid-seventies in the Hall of Commerce building in Burrowa Street , (later Gilpin’s in the 1930s and Mallick’s later on and now houses Young Eyes). The building has recently had a well deserved face-lift.
Young Historical Society – Brian James.