Lambing Flat Folk Museum (Young, NSW)

Click here to edit subtitle

History Blog

The Passing of Two Pioneers

Posted on November 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM

From the Young Witness, Tuesday 27 June 1916.


One of the sturdy old pioneers of the southern districts, in the person of Mr. Hugh McAlister died at his late residence Nasmyth Street, Young at 2 o’clock on Saturday morning, the cause of death being heart failure. The late Mr. McAlister who had reached the ripe old age of 73 years had until about 18 months ago, scarcely had a day's sickness in his life, and it is stated that until he was 70 he had no need of medical advice.


He was born at Sutton Forrest, NSW. In 1843, and whilst only a very small boy, went to Gundagai, where on growing up he engaged in the butchering business. At the age of 31 he married Miss Mary Flinn at Gundagai . Later on he went to Mitta Mitta, where he and his brother engaged in pastoral pursuits and after a period removed to the Wagga Wagga district. This was the year 1879, and after a residence of 12 years in that district came to Young in 1891, and settled on “The Bland” in close proximity to where the Bribaree railway station was erected on the new line from Stockinbingal to Forbes. In this district he resided until about 5 years ago when he came to town to reside.


In the early days Mr. McAlister joined in the search for gold on the various fields in these parts. He came from Gundagai to Lambing Flat two years after gold was discovered there. There was then thousands of miners on the field already and practically all the land was taken up. The Grenfell rush then broke out and Mr. McAlister instead of trying his luck at “The Flat” moved on to Grenfell, being amongst the first 30 prospectors on the field. He stayed there for six months but not having his hopes realised, returned to Gundagai.


Most of the old hands could tell of personal experiences with the bushrangers who frequented these parts. Deceased, however, was never “stuck up”. When some of Moonlight’s gang were arrested at Wantabadgery, and two of them were shot, he was in the immediate vicinity, and later was present at the bushranger’s trial.


The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon. The cortege left the residence in Nasmyth street about 2.30 and included friends from near and far, there being many from the Thuddungra and Bimbi districts. The body was first taken to St. Mary’s church and thence to the R.C. cemetery where the interment took place. The prayers at the church and graveside were read by the Very Rev. Father Hennessy, who also made a few remarks on the life and character of the deceased.


The pall bearers were Messrs F. Regan, W. Redman, I. Brown, J. Blackwood, W. Heares, and J. McAlister. The mortuary arrangements were carried out by Messrs. Patterson Bros., Young.


Goulburn Penny Post,15th February 1940.


Known as Young’s “Grand Old Lady.” Mrs. Helen Marina, M.B.E., died at her residence “Verana,” Young, on Monday afternoon. Mrs. Marina celebrated her 79th birthday on February 5. Born in England she was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Edward Taylor, and was brought by them to Australia in a sailing vessel in her infancy.


Early in life Mrs. Marina became an ardent church worker and when in her teens took her place in the choir in St. John’s Church of England. After spending her girlhood at “Rosehill” she was married to William Marina the son of Mr. and Mrs. Carlo Marina of “Moppity” in 1884. The couple resided for some years at “Waterview”, Monteagle, where Mr. Marina was engaged in mixed farming, until he transferred to “Verana,” where Mrs. Marina lived for 40 years.


The late Mr. Marina was a noted woolgrower and bloodstock breeder, and was keenly interested in amateur horse racing. He was one of the first presidents of the old Burrangong Picnic Race Club.


The late Mrs. Marina was herself an exceptionally fine horsewoman, and for many years rode and drove at P. and A. Shows at Young and neighbouring towns.


Footnote; Edward Taylor was the son of James White’s sister, Janetta. James White being the first white settler in the Young area.


“Rosehill” still stands on the Cowra road just out of Young.

 

Young Historical Society – Brian James.

Categories: None