|Posted on February 15, 2016 at 3:05 AM|
The following article appeared in the Evening News (Sydney), Wednesday 20 March 1907.
"FLOCKING TO NSW. FARMERS FROM SOUTH AUSTRALIA. SIXTY ON A SPECIAL TRAIN.
Some people in New South Wales will think that there is a tendency in South Australia to undertake the task usually known as teaching one’s grandmother to suck eggs, judging by the following extract from the Adelaide ’Register’, of February 25 [actually Feb 26 - editor], which, is headed ‘The Exodus from Mount Templeton’ :-
"Today, Mr. Robert Young, late of Mount Templeton, will leave by special train for the estate he has taken up, in conjunction with Mr. Ralli, near Young, in New South Wales. The special train starts from Hamley Bridge, being the junction of the broad and narrow gauge, and conveys not only Mr. Young, but 60 people – men, women and children – who are going forth to make their homes in the eastern colony, 100 horses, and many farm implements.
"The land in New South Wales is of excellent quality, but the methods of farming it are old fashioned and non- scientific."
[P.S. I am sure the New South Wales farmers would appreciate this observation]
“The land has not been made to yield its fullest possibilities, owing to ignorance of the newest ways of utilising it. The New South Wales farmers however, are eager to learn, and welcome the many South Australians who settle among them, and respect the knowledge by which they wring the utmost from the soil.
"South Australian scientific farming brought to bear on New South Wales land should produce the happiest result, and all success is wished to those who, like Abraham of old, go out to make their homes in distant places,
"But the ‘trekkers’ from Mount Templeton will find so many from their native State settled around them that no sense of strangeness will be apparent. While all good wishes go with those setting out from Mount Templeton, serious questions arise in the mind. Can South Australia afford to lose her people without a corresponding influx of population to balance matters?”
Young and Ralli had purchased the properties Greenshades, Yannawah, Milong and Elton Hills. Elton Hills was where the old stone house stood and still does. It was a hotel at one time and a stopover place for Cobb & Co coaches on their way to the Bland. The Young family lived in the main house off the Tubbul road.
On what is now known as Olde Milong, Young and Ralli built a large new woolshed to shear and handle the large number of sheep running on the property. Also a major farming venture was commenced with large and innovative machinery being employed and a large share farming system put into operation.
Amongst those brought over from South Australia was Charles Weston, who was to become a well known and respected citizen of the town of Young. Charles was Young and Ralli’s bookkeeper and lived and worked in the stone house. There was an inner and outer office, the outer office being used as a mail sorting room as well. A section of the building was used as a shop and stores were sold to employees and others. Several other bachelors employed on the station were also housed here. A cook was employed to supply meals for the residents.
In 1914 Charles enlisted and served at Gallipoli and in France and on his return he was employed in many prominent positions as well as conducting a store at Monteagle. Among some of the positions held, which were numerous, was the District Coroner for twenty years and Secretary of the Young Pasture Protection Board for twenty seven years. He joined the Returned Soldiers League and over the years held all executive positions.
Charles Weston served on the Young Municipal Council for some twenty years and was Mayor on four separate occasions.
Another well known person associated with Elton Hills was Mary Gilmore who was employed as a school teacher when the Elton Hills school opened in 1913. She went on to be the well known literary figure, Dame Mary Gilmore.
In 1918 or 1919 Young and Ralli decided to sell Milong and return to South Australia, the new owner was Mr. A.W. Scott. Mr. Scott retained most of the employees, many who lived on the property in houses built by Young and Ralli.
Young Historical Society – Brian James.