After the discovery of gold at Lambing Flat, a considerable population began to build up, which included a number of families with children, thus there was a need for educational facilities to be established. A Mrs. Carter was the first to open a school in Feb 1861, with 15 pupils.
The Young National School was opened in July 1861, with an attendance of about 40 students. In 1864 a new timber school opened in Lovell St, with 101 students. By 1872 this accommodated 182, including 16 boarders. Agitation was made for a larger school, and in 1873 Henry Parkes laid the foundation stone for a new brick building on the site which later became the site of the Railway Station (now the Information Centre). The old timber school was retained and used for boarders.
With the coming of the railway to Young, a new site had to be found, and a site in Hume St. was selected. Despite several problems with this site, it was decided to build on it. The foundation stone to this building was laid in 1883, and the building opened on 4 Aug 1884. The headmaster was Mr. William Teale, and the school could accommodate 700 pupils.
The new school with its conspicuous tower of 28 feet high and two-storey teacher's residence, cost £8250 and was built by Mr. Charles Hardy of Wagga Wagga. It operated as a school until the 1970s.
This building today is the Community Arts Centre, which houses the Lambing Flat Folk Museum.