The Society was formed in 1958 following a public meeting called by the Mayor of Young, Ald. R.L. Howard, at the request of the Young Municipal Council. The Rev. Brother J.P. O’Malley was elected the Society’s first President and served for one year.
The Society commenced to collect historical material to form the nucleus of a museum. Initially items were displayed in a room at the South West Library.
The Services and Citizens Club purchased the old Presbyterian Church building, on the corner of Lynch and Marina Streets, and made it available to the Society. The official opening was on the 13th November, 1967.
Space became a problem, and when part of the Community Arts Centre became available the Museum transferred there, and is still located there today.
Visitors since 15 April 2013
Site built and maintained by Lindsay Swadling