|Posted on September 2, 2015 at 6:10 PM|
A continuation of a list of citizens of early Young who played a part in the development of the town.
M.D. Isaacs – The editor of The Miner, Young's first newspaper, in 1861. Moved to Forbes, but returned to Young ,and as he was a qualified solicitor, practised for a Forbes attorney.
Lieut. Col. Jno. Kempt – Was in Supreme command of the military detachment sent from Sydney in July 1861.
W. Kelly – A landowner on the northern boundary of the town. A partner of Mr. Sam Tout of Calabash.
William Lupton – The only fatality in the attack on the police Camp by the diggers on 14th July, 1861.His funeral was one of the largest ever held at Young, being attended by some 3000 people, many with bandaged wounds.
Sam Matthews – The owner of the “Blue Store” on the corner of Lynch and Main streets and later the proprietor of the “Camp Inn” in Yass street not far from the old Court House.
William McKay – A miner from Lambing Flat who was arrested at Tipperary Gully on the morning after the Military arrived . He was charged with participation in the riot of 14th July, 1861, but eventually acquitted.
Barnett Phillips – One of the principal storekeepers of the early days and was located towards the southern end of Main street. He was the proprietor of the “Diggers Theatre”.
E.A. Scarvell – A solicitor who for a time was in partnership with James Gordon in the early seventies. His son married one of James Gordon’s daughters and lived at “Karabah”, Cowra Road ,Young on the property originally taken up by Dr. Temple. He built “Moorong” on the Wombat road, later the home of Luke Tierney.
Henry Greig – Came to Young in late 1860, a storekeeper from Goulburn, and opened “The Australian Stores” in Main street. He was sympathetic towards the Chinese and had business dealings with them and this made him unpopular with the European diggers. He owned many allotments in Lynch street and it has been said that he was the owner of the coach bailed up by Frank Gardiner’s gang at Eugowra in 1862.
Maurice Dalton – A landowner in Wombat street, who kept the Golden Fleece Hotel on the Wombat road at Spring Creek and carried on a slaughtering business there as well.
Jack Hadwick – Kept a Public House called The Digger’s Home on Chance Gully Flat, at the western end of town in 1862. He also ran a concert hall at the same place. (near the site of the present day flour mill).
Dr. H.J. Clarke – Practised in Young from the early 1860’s, and resided next to Watson Bros. first primitive store at the western end of Burrowa street. Clarke street in this vicinity is probably named after him.
I .Cohn – The sole photographer in Young in the early 1870s. He was manager of The European and Australian Photo Company with a head office in Melbourne. His premises were situated next to Christy Reus in Burrowa street. Examples of his wet-plate work should be found in many old albums.
William John Watson – Part of Watson Bros. activities in their initial store was the treating of wash dirt purchased from small diggers, fossickers and Chinamen, and this part of the business was managed by William John on the creek bank behind the store. On James’ transfer to Sydney, W.J. managed the local store and flour mill further up the street, and became a prominent factor in the towns development. He was one of those that financed and established a new newspaper for the town, The Chronicle, in 1874. He was a great supporter of St. John’s Church.
Dr. Charles Temple – A very respected early doctor and citizen of Young. He drowned in Penrose’s Race at the crossing place near the Shamrock Hotel (Australian) after visiting the Gaol Hospital. He apparently drowned in two inches of water after suffering an epileptic attack. His great funeral with Masonic honours showed the esteem in which he was held. His weatherboard cottage, said to be the first weatherboard cottage to be erected in Young, stood in Burrowa street opposite the Great Eastern Hotel on the eastern side of the Commercial Bank ( NAB).
Harry Tovey – A large landowner in the northern part of the town in the middle 1860s. He was employed for many years in Peter Cram’s flour mill and was later licensee of the Oddfellows Arms Hotel (now the Young Hotel).
Young Historical Society – Brian James.